The History of the San Francisco Neurological Society
Historical papers outline proceedings of the San Francisco Neurological Society from December 5, 1919 through October 1, 1920.
In 1947, the graduate program at UCSF began as an independent Department of Neurology under the direction of Dr. Robert Aird. It was this year that the San Francisco Neurological Society was officially born, when Dr. Aird accepted the chairmanship of the Department of Neurology. Early presidents alternated both from Stanford to UCSF and from neurology and neurosurgery.
In 1948, Drs. Boldrey and Aird initiated the first annual meeting in Carmel, which was held in conjunction with the Los Angeles Neurosurgical Society. Dr. Aird also began to bring distinguished neurologists from the East Coast as well as from Europe, and these visits were often combined with Extension Division courses, the VA Hospital, and local neurological societies. From 1949 to 1965, over forty of the most outstanding English-speaking neurologists of the world participated in the program and the annual meetings at Carmel.
The San Francisco Neurological Society continues to benefit from this tradition of visits by distinguished neurologists. The San Francisco Neurological Society continues to be an important part of Bay Area neurological and neurosurgical activity, both at Stanford and at UCSF, as well as surrounding institutions and for those is private sector as well.